PRE CATALYTIC CONVERTER

2001 Hyundai Sonata

2001 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

Car hesitates going up hills and will rev when the gas is pushed down too fast. Took the car to my mechanic and he says it is the " Pre" catalytic converter. Says the cost of the part alone is listed as $851 but that he will give it to me at his cost which is $700 and only charge me $51 for labor. I looked online and found the catalytic converter prices for my car and I don't see any parts for over $377 so I am a little suspicious that I am being taken advantage of by my mechanic. Am I?
Beswove

First of all thank you so much for your donation. Each pre cat has a 519 list price the price your seeing online is the aftermarket pre cat's which are alot cheaper. How many pre cat's did he say you needed?The 51 labor is pretty cheap though but sound's like he is making it up on the part.

He said that if one was going bad the other would probably follow soon. The hyudai dealership quoted me $1575 for the parts and labor so my guy was cheaper than that. I called the mechanic that my step mom uses and he suggested that I call the muffler shop in town and ask about getting a universal one installed and he said $150. Which means I can get all three put in for cheaper than my mechanic.

Beswove
I would just replace the cat that's bad. As long as you don't live in california the cheapest I found the manifold cat's is 303 plus shipping and the cat on the pipe was 71 plus shipping.I also have a 5 percent discount code you could use off those price's. So is that 150 installed for each cat that is part of each exhaust manifold?