TIMING BELT &AM

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Hello all

I have an 3.5L engine in my 04 Santa Fe. I've done a few timing belt jobs on four cylinder engines, but this is my first six cylinder belt change and it made my other timing jobs feel like an Oil change! I've always had much success using Haynes manuals for my other cars, but the Santa Fe manual I just bought is almost worthless. This manual's instructions are so vague, so little pictures, I'm actually got more info from forums on the web!

Anywho, I have 120k on my engine. This is the second belt on the car. The first the dealer did at 60k. I've replaced the water pump, belt, tensioner pulley, and stationary pulley. I also had to replace the crankshaft gear because the crankshaft position sensor plate broke while removing the belt pulley from the crank. I had a few setbacks doing the job, but I thought all was Ok when I started the engine, but now I have a problem.

My car drives fine at normal speeds, but when in gear and idling, it idles a bit rough. My wife drove it a day or two and now today the check engine light came on. I scanned it and got six codes. P300, P303, and P305. All engine misfire codes. My gut is telling me that I'm off by a tooth on all the cams. When I checked them doing the job, the mark on the head lined up with the cam tooth that led to the cam mark, but the tooth was on the left side of the mark. All four cams lined up on this same tooth.

Before I buttoned it all back up, I even had a local mechanic neighbor take a quick look at all the marks and he said they were all lined up properly, but maybe he was mistaken as well? I know the CRANK cam was lined up properly, I don't think you can mess that one up.

Another forum I frequent, someone stated that it sounds like bad plugs and wires. I'm still using the factory set (I will be replacing them soon), but I don't think that is the issue because the rough idle and codes began after I changed the timing belt.

My questions before tearing it down again are:

1) Does this sound like a classic tooth misalignment?

2) Could the Crank position sensor be broken? It had no physical damage, only the plate on the cog was replaced.

3) If I am off by a tooth, is it just a retarded timing, or could I have possibly done some major damage to the valvetrain? Could one tooth be a killer?

Thanks for reading!
Klinkster