ELANTRA TRANSMISSION REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT.

1999 Hyundai Other

I have a 1999 manual transmission 5 speed Hyundai Elantra with 160,700 miles on it. My boyfriend was driving along in cruise control and all the sudden there was a great boom and part of the engine was on the ground. All I can figure is that it is part of the transmission. I have attached a picture of what came out, can you tell me what it is? What would cause this to happen and how much, on average, would it cost to get it repaired or replaced?

Would it even be worth it?

Within the last year we have put 2,000 dollars worth of work in to the car. We got 4 new tires, a new exhaust gasket and manifold gasket, new break pads, and a new catalytic converter. As well as a new front bumper. It seems like a waste to put all that money in to the car only to have to give up on it.

Someone told me it might just be best to scrap it for parts, is this what I should do?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/112512_engine1_1.jpg

Dominanefret