ENGINE OVERHEATED, STILL OVERHEATING

2005 Hyundai Elantra

Engine Cooling problem
2005 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 70000 miles

I was on the interstate (70+) and my engine overheated, I didn't realize it until I got off the exit. I had a leak from an upper hose that I didn't know about. I've tried to " burp" the radiator, I keep adding water and antifreeze to the radiator (more water than antifreeze at this point). The resevoir keeps emptying, no puddles, checked the oil, it's a little high (warm) but not foamy. Car will run for a mile or two fine then starts to overheat again. If it gets a little hot and I stop I hear gurgling and see steam coming from the overflow on the resevoir. No funny noises from the water pump. What's the problem, and how do I fix?

A girl at work says I might need a new engine, might as well park it in the driveway and walk if that's the case. Any suggestions?
Czink66

Hi czink66,

Thank you for the donation.

If the reservoir keeps depleting, it can be considered good news. The engine should be ok, you have a leak in the cooling system and a pressure test should indicate where the leaking is coming from.

Are the cooling fans working when the engine shows signs of overheating?
Do they come on when AC is tuned ON?
If yes, does it overheat as well?

To bleed the cooling system, turn the heater to maximum while topping up the coolant with engine running.