REPLACING REAR BRAKE AND RUNNING BULBS

2002 Hyundai Elantra

2002 Hyundai Elantra 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

On other cars I have had it was simply a matter of going into trunk and removing trim behind rear lights and accessing bulbs. The elantra looks like its bollted
to the whole light housing. Am I missing something or do I need to unbolt the whole unit behind light to get to bulbs

Donaldbraman

Open the trunk to the Hyundai Elantra.

Locate and remove the two Phillips head screws on the trim panel cover inside the trunk behind the taillight assembly.

Locate and remove the three 8 mm nuts (revealed once the trim panel is removed) holding the taillight assembly to the Elantra.

Pull the taillight assembly out toward the rear of the Elantra. There will be a guide pin still clinging onto the taillight assembly, and you'll have to apply a degree of tenacity to remove it, but it will come free.

Locate and remove the taillight bulb socket on the backside of the taillight assembly. Turn it counterclockwise to release the socket. Remove the bulb, and replace with the new one. Test the bulb by turning on the lights before replacing the assembly.

Align the guide pin up to its predetermined hole, as well as the studs on the back of the taillight assembly, and insert it into place. Replace the nuts and tighten them. Replace the trim panel and screws. Remove the tools and the old bulb, and close the trunk.

Bluelightnin6