ENGINE SENSOR

2000 Hyundai Accent

2000 Hyundai Accent 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 82, 00 miles

My car conked out yesterday and won't start again tried jumping etc, anyhow took it to garage who said(excuse my ignorance) the sensor that tells engine to start has burnt out and would cost £200 for part and fitted I cannot afford this and was wondering if anyone could tell me the name of this sensor so I could order it myself and have someone fit it.
Thanks.
Steg75

Do below maybe it'll tell us where that sensor coming from that's preventing it from starting

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.