IGNITION ISSUE

2003 Hummer H2

2003 Hummer H2 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 161319 miles

I was driving along and my service airbag light came on. This was followed by rapid flashing of the instrument cluster and a stall. The vehicle will no longer start, but every 10-12 attempts it turns over and dies. The other times, the ignition controlled devices (instrument cluster, stereo) all go blank and nothing happens. After releasing the key to the run position, the stereo comes back on and all of the four wheel drive indicators are flashing.
Wizofspas

What is the battery state of charge, and the connections looking like? It sounds like the state of charge ran low due to malfunctioning generator, battery fault, or poor connection. Have you tried to jump start the vehicle, If not, try that. If it starts and runs, remove the jump device(cables, booster), if it dies shortly after, you are not getting a charge. The airbag system, as well as the antilock brakes are usually the first to report a low voltage condition, as they are safety items.

Factoryjack
Swapped batteries. Removed alternate and direct fed voltage with jumpers to another vehicle.12.6 volts. Found power stud #2 30a fuse blown. Replaced fuse, but no change in performance. Verified vehicle has no Padlock system. Starter turns and fuel system is activated after long pauses with the key out of the ignition. Alternate was making a whining noise with the key in the run position. Occasionally, but inconsistently, the four wheel drive option buttons pulse at the same rate as the open door chime. DVD player self activates at the same rate. Power to the DVD is fed from the inferior fuse panel.

Wizofspas
DVD is fed directly from ignition switch in the column. Is it possible that this is all just the result of a bad ignition switch?

Wizofspas
It could be a bad ignition switch, not necessarily symptoms I have seen from one. Is the DVD the only aftermarket accessory in the vehicle? Initially, how I approach bizarre electrical concerns, is to remove all aftermarket accessories(at least power to) from the vehicle. Often times it is a result of someones improper installation, and where they chose to get ignition power.

Factoryjack