HOW MANY MAN HOURS FOR DRIVETRAIN RELATED WORK (QUESTION INSIDE)

2003 Ford Explorer

How many man hours does it usually take to change the timing belts(?) Of a 2003 Ford Explorer 4WD V6 Automatic Transmission?

The problem gradually came on. There was a little hiccup within the engine every now and then. One day while commuting to work it went all to hell on me. My truck is out a few gears 2, 3, and 5 according to the mechanic. My knowledge on vehicles isn't to grand. I'm afraid of being taken advantage of due to my lack of knowledge. He quoted me at 6-7 hours, and is already at 11 hours without having placed the engine back into the vehicle. He's currently $600 dollars over his initial quote. It's rather worrying to me.
Myzery

Timing belt you said you aware out hears in the transmission? What engine do you have?Did you OK the extra 600?

Are you asking about the timing chain?Because there is no timing belt for ether engine for that year.

I'd assume I meant the timing chain then. No, I didn't okay the extra $600. I'm finding out after the fact.

Myzery
If didn't OK the extra 600 then its against the law for him to charge you that over your in tail OKed estimate. Also what size engine do you have there are two for that year?If you give me your zip code I can give you total fair price for the whole job in your area plus I will give you the labor hrs.

It's a 4.0 liter V6, and thank you I didn't know that about quote law. My zip is 46710.

Myzery
I see 900 labor and 300 parts in your area.