CAR STARTS UP AFTER A FEW TRIES..

1998 Honda Prelude

1998 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 166166 miles

Hi, I have recently changed the ignitor control, distributor, kept up with all my oil changes, new starter, spark plugs, fuel pump and filter but today I was starting up my car and it cranked and then the rpms dropped suddenly before getting it out of park and wouldn't turn over. After a few tries it eventually did start. Also while driving the rpms drop below 1000. Was wondering what could be causing this?
Mario25

Hi mario25,

Have you checked what is missing when it could not start?

Have you checked the PGM-FI main relay?

I had a computer hooked up to it about 2 months ago at autozone and nothing came up on it. How would I check if its that?

Mario25
You are talking about the main relay for the fuel injection or fuel pump right? How would I go about checking that piece to see if its working correctly and replacing it?

Mario25
The PGM-FI main relay supplies power to the fuel pump.

When engine could not be started, you need to check what is missing.

Click the " First Things To Check " link at bottom of post to get an idea what to look for.

If fuel pressure is missing, then the PGM-FI main relay could be the cause.

If there is no battery voltage at the distributor, then it could be a faulty ignition switch.

One other issue I forgot to mention was that it only happens when the car has been used thruout the day in the extreme Miami heat. Any way to narrow it down based on that. On a short budget and don't want to fool around buying unnecessary parts. Thank u

Mario25
Heat related means the PGM-FI relay is the most likely culprit.

Remove the relay and resoldering the circuit board would make it work again. You would notice cracked solders on a few of the joints.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_PGMFIRelay97Prelude_4.jpg