IGNITION SWITCH

2003 Honda Pilot

Steering problem
2003 Honda Pilot 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

i can not turn the key to start the engine.
history: for the last couple of days I have had a problem with the key getting stuck in the switch.
today I tried to turn the car on and its stuck (0)lock position. I turn the wheel to the right and to the left and its locked too. It has a 2-3 inch locking position when I try to turn it right or left. Also, when the key is in the ignition when I open the door it beeps until I remove the key.
1. Any suggestions on what the problem might possibly be.
2. If I end up getting the car towed should I have the car towed to honda or my local mechanic?
thanks in advance for your guidance.
Ladyokel

Check out our tips on this common problem at http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/why_wont_my_ignition_switch_turn.htm

Bluelightnin6
I just had a similar problem with my 2003 Honda Pilot. In my case the key just would not turn the ignition switch. The dealer wanted $800 to replace the switch that had a new key with it. If I wanted to re-key my doors for the new ignition key, that was and extra $100/door lock. (NO THANKS!)

My local (Fremont, Ca) locksmith said that this was a common problem with Pilots and Odysseys. He rebuilt the ignition cylinder to work with the existing key. $150 total for the repair.

Hopefully your problem is similar to this one. Check with your local locksmith about the repair.

Good Luck,

Mark

MrO