SETTING THE TIMING

1995 Honda Passport

1995 Honda Passport 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 210000 miles

How will I know that the cam shafts are in the right place or phase when I put my timing belt back on?
I know where the visual alignments are but I need to know Where the cam shafts need to be. What pistons need to be at what position and how will I know hat phase they are in.
Jacheatwood

Hi jacheatwood,

As long as the timing marks are correct, you need not worry about where the camshafts are. Likewise the crankshaft would automatically be in the right place if the marks corresponds. Prior to removal, you need to turn the marks to match before removing the belt.

Thanks, I have just recently recieved the same information. I didn't realize this engine was so easy to set the timing on.

Jacheatwood
You are welcomed.

Most engines are easy to time for belt replacement and the only thing that you need to keep in mind is to recheck the timing marks after installation by turning the crankshaft 2 revolutions and rechecking. Quite often mistakes occurs while putting the belt on and the marks can be missed.