MALFUNCTION LIGHT ON

Honda Other

Hi,

I filled the tank from unbranded gas station, unusually it took more than 50 dollars. The nozzle/gas hose doesnt have locking mechanism to fill the gas and I was holding the nozzle all the time during the fill-up. After removing the nozzle I realized that the flap door/valve in the filler neck is missing. Within 10miles I got malfunction light on, went to autozone they said o2 sensor, went to another mechanic they said catalytic convertor. Now the filler neck doesnt have the flap and malfunction light is still on.
iam not sure what to do? Any ideas plz.
Shashi1ap

Malfunction light, is that the check engine light? I say the proof is in the pudding. So does the car run just fine yet or is there a possible faultering of the engine once is awhile?

Bruce Hunt
Yes, it is the same light, btw it is accord ex year 99 and 100,000 miles on it. Car runs fine even the mileage is great appr 30 per gallon, same as before this incident happened.

Shashi1ap
Provide the code from the check engine light and we might be able to give you some further insight.

Bruce Hunt
The code is p0420 (CAT effic below threshold (bank1)), got it from different people, some said it is catalyst convertor and some said it is O2 sensor, but one mechanic said first fix the filler neck flap door and then lets recheck once again. Kind of confused with lot of things

Shashi1ap