P740 TCC INTERMITTENT PROBLEM AFTER LONG

2000 Honda Odyssey

2000 Honda Odyssey 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

My Odyssey gets the code P740 after a long drive (about 45 mins). When it happens, the check engine and TCS light comes automatically. After that the vehicle slips and kickback at low gears (especially moving from a stop signal). I have a scanner with me. If I erase the code and continue driving, the light and code appears in few miles and the problem remains the same.

If I erase the code and let the vehicle parked for more than 2 hours, everything returns to normal. I can drive it for short distance (less than 7 miles) for many days. No problem.

To me it looks like the transmission heats up and gets into some stuck state. Could it be a stuck " tcc solenoid". How much would it cost to fix it.

Any feedback will be helpful.
Carpro_trex_eater

Hi carpro_trex_eater,

Thank you for the donation.

The cost of repairs would depend on what needs to be replaced, solenoids or transmission itself.

Here are the diagnostic procedures.

DTC P0740: Problem in Lock-up Control System
NOTE: " Keep replacement control solenoid valves on hand: Lock-up control solenoid valve assembly (lock-up control solenoid valve/shift control solenoid valve A assembly).
A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A/B assembly.

1. Check whether the scan tool or the HDS indicates another code.

Does the scan tool or the HDS indicate another code?

YES: - Perform the Troubleshooting Flowchart for the indicated Code(s). Recheck for code P0740 after troubleshooting.
NO: - Go to step 2.

NOTE: Do not continue with this troubleshooting until the causes of any other DTCs have been corrected.

2. Measure the line pressure

Is the line pressure within the service limit?

YES: - Go to step 3.
NO: - Replace the transmission.

Replace the Lock-up Control Solenoid Assembly set (lock-up control solenoid valve/shift control solenoid valve Assembly and the A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A/B assembly.

4. Clear the DTC with the scan tool or the HDS.

5. Using the scan tool, check to be sure that the engine coolant temperature is 176 F (80 C) or above.

6. Drive the vehicle under the same conditions as those indicated by the freeze data for more than 1 minute, or drive the vehicle at 55 mph (88 km/h) with TPS voltage 0.8 V for more than 1 minute.

7. Recheck for code P0740.

Does the scan tool or the HDS indicate code P0740?

YES: - Inspect the O-ring on the torque converter. If the O-ring is missing, replace the O-ring. If the O-ring is damaged or OK, replace the transmission and torque converter.
NO: - The system is OK at this time.

If it is the solenoid, how much would that repair work cost. Thanks.

Carpro_trex_eater
Book time for solenoid assy replacement is 0.5 hr.

Lock-up solenoid is listed at $ 389.11