RARE LEGEND!! REPAIRS? COSTS?

Honda Insight

Hello, new to the forum. I currently have a 1992 Acura Legend LS Coupe with the six speed manual. I recently burned the clutch up on it and I need to get it replaced. The Ls Coupe with a six speed is a relatively rare car, and I am fearing the cost is going to be prohibitive. I also think the master cylinder for the brakes needs replacing as well. Does anybody have any idea the ballpark costs of these two repairs? Also a friend told me that I should be replacing the clutch with a performance clutch because of how I drive. What are the differences in cost for a performance clutch and is it really going to last longer? Are there any other repairs that come up when replacing the clutch that I should plan on budgeting for? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
Dannysquints

Actually, the performance clutch isn't going to last as long as your typical organic clutch. It'll just allow you to rev higher before taking off and will hold more torque and be harder to depress than your stock clutch. Is your Legend the 5 cylinder? If you shop around, maybe at a good speed/performance shop you might be able to get your work done for around $500 or so. Check around the internet for deals on the clutch, an Exedy (Daikin Clutch) Stage 1 is a good clutch because it is almost identical to stock with a slightly higher holding capacity. Either that or a Daikin OEM clutch. As far as what transmission you have, it shouldn't make a difference to the price of the labor.

Jdubslopro
No it is not a 5 cyclinder. Its the V6. 500.00 is a substantially lower number than I am getting quoted. Closer to 1200-1700. Am I missing something?

Dannysquints
Are you shopping to have someone do it for you or to do it yourself? That is a big deal and your numbers probably don't match because I think you are looking at it differently.

The master shouldn't be that bad either to replace.

I have shopped and bought clutches on ebay and saved big dollars. BUT, I do the work myself.

Bruce Hunt
Is that labor and parts together or just labor? The clutch should run you somewhere between 100-300 (depending on which model you go with) and then shopping around for labor is where you really save money. The labor shouldn't take longer than about 4 hours, and the rate varies from shop to shop about $50/hr to $90/hr. I generally do Acura/Honda tranny swaps for about $300. You might also consider having the flywheel resurfaced (about $50 once its off) depending on mileage/condition. So I think that $500 is a fair price to spend, but not 12-1700. Hope that comes as some help for you.

Jdubslopro