TACH & FUEL GAGE NOT WORKING

1997 Honda Del Sol

1997 Honda Del Sol 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

I purchased a 97 del sol and the tach sets at 2500 rpm all the time. It wont go back to the bottom when the engin is turned off. Also the fuel gage does not work. It sets about in the middle all the time. I unpluged the wire at the gas tank and the gage goes bac to empty, but when I plug it back up the gage goes back to the middle. Any suggestions.
Jwcros

Hello –

Well, just a couple of questions to get us on the same page. This Civic, is it a Del Sol S, SI or SI VTEC? Also, the 1.6L engine, is this just the 1.6L or the 1.6L VTEC?

When you say the tach always sits at 2500 – the engine isn’t at that speed, just the tach – right?

Does it seem to follow the engine otherwise from that point?

I attached a pic for the location of the tach connector, disconnect it also and see what it does.

The car seems to run fine with both of these conditions?

Last for a reference point, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O’Reilly’s (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don’t get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture1_19.jpg

ImpalaSS
It is a 97 Del Sol with 1.6L engine. Not a VTEC. The tach is on 2500rpm with the engine off, It works with engine running but I have no idea about the rpm's because it starts at 2500.

The engine runs fine. I took it to Advance Auto Parts and they put their meter on it but the only thing he said was that the temp was showing low volts. I didn't get the code number. I will take it to O' Reillys tomorrow and have them check it. I'm not sure the guy at Advance knew what he was doing.
I will get the code numbers.

Thank you for the picture I will look at it tomorrow.
It acts like something is grounding out. The guy I purchased it from had all kinds of wires running eveywhere. I have removed all the extra stuff he had put in.

Again, thanx for your help.

John

Jwcros
John

Thanks for the update….I will wait for the info you provide after the test and the codes. Remember it is important I get the code and what they say the description is.

You are welcome for the help – will do my best to assist.

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS