P1399 CODE, HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS CODE AN

1999 Honda CRV

Computer problem
1999 Honda CRV 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 162178 miles

car started sputtering. Not having power when I pressed on the gas. Worse when I step hard or fast. Have to back off the gas then procede. Finally after months of this if threw the p1399 code. Changed the cap and rotor, dind't fix. Changed the fuel pump. Still didn't fix. Anyone ever been thru this for honda before. Strange stuff help please!
Brnnsoul

Hi brnnsoul,

P1399 is a temporary code for misfiring.

Did you check the spark plugs and wires? Could be a failing ignition coil.

Was any other codes retrieved?

Another item to check would be a lazy O2 sensor. Get the freeze data if possible.

Thanks again. No that has not been checked. I will have it checked monday. I did not look at the machine that retrieves the code, but was told that was the only code that came up. This only happens once and a while. The time it threw the code, I was stepping on the gas rather hard. It just wouldn't go, so I stepped harder and of course the check engine came on, I took straight to the mechanic. That is when we got the code. I hope I am not confusing you. It only threw a code one time. But the problems is intermittent.

Will also have the 02 sensor checked

Again, thank you for your time!

Brnnsoul
You are welcomed.

Temporary means it is not a confirmed. It takes a two trip fault, ie the fault must occur 2 times before the the actual misfiring code would be detected.

I have encountered a few cases of the symptoms decribed which were caused by a lazy ( faulty ) O2 sensor. Some scanners were not able to detect the problem so you might need to use a different scanner to see if it shows anything.

P1399 on a 99' CRV? The B20 engines in the 1997-2001 CR-Vs are known to have problems with valves tightening and then 'burning'

The Cam profiles don't let the exhaust valves enough time to cool. So it leads to them cooking.

Have valves adjusted LOOSE and inspect for damage.

AND THANKS HONDA

Ej00807
To be able to save me a little money my mechanic would like to know if you have an idea of which 02 sensor to replace, or just go for both.

So hard when there are so many things it COULD be. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the stupid thing to throw a code again!

Thank you for all your time and patience.

Brnnsoul
If it is an O2 sensor problem, it usually is a fault with the primary HO2S, the one located before the catalytic converter.

Is the engine idling smoothly? If not, then as ej00807 mentioned, get the valve clearances adjusted.