HOW TO CHANGE A HOOD RELEASE CABLE

Honda Civic

I drive a 1993 honda civic dx hatchback, about 260,000 kms. My hood release cable is broken, and i'm going to attempt to change it myself. If anyone can give me detailed instructions on how to do that, it would be super awesome.

Thanks! This is the best site ever. So helpful!
Sugabean

Important question to ask here is about the present state of affairs with the car. Is the hood open or is an issue trying to get the hood open as well?

Bruce Hunt
The hood does not open at all. Pulling the release latch from inside the car does nothing - there's no pressure or anything at all on it.

Sugabean
I talked to a friend of mine and he said that i'll have to go under the car to open it. I figured as much, but I don't know what to do once I get under the car. How do I open the hood, and then change the cable?

Sugabean
Changing the cable is the super easy part. The opening of the hood is the challenge. You don't know where it broke. If it broke at the handle in the car you can attack the cable from the cabin of the vehicle.

Somewhere else along the way and you are stuck trying to get the lever to move with a long screwdriver. Some get lucky and catch the cable and are able to make it work by hand. Still others remove the grill. I suggest that you look at a similar vehicle and get the lay of the area to know what in your mind you are reach to do. This is a tough one.

Bruce Hunt