HELP MY POOR !

Honda Civic

: shock: I have a 91 Honda Civic Dx Hatch 1.6 L and it doesn't seem to have any power left. The plugs are getting covered in oil and the fuel filter has just been replaced. I love my car, but it's been parked for a while due to the lack of power. Thanks so much!
Irishgirlsarebetter

Plugs are covered in oil on the outside, or inside the cylinder? If the plgus are getting covered in oil on the inside, you are going to need some major work done. If it is just on the outside, then you may have a valve cover gasket leaking. Not a big deal, but not a reason for lost of power. Do you have a service engine soon light, or engine light on the dash that is lit up? If so, then have the engine code read, and that will lead you to the problem. If not, then it is just a guess as to what is wrong. If your car has high milage, I would check the compression on all of the cylinders and see if it is showing signs of being worn out.

Mikeybdman
Well. The service engine light has always been on (and no one can seem to figure out why. I'm plagued with cars that do this!) But what would result in a loss of power. I was thinking maybe a blow head gasket or something of the sort? Thanks!

Irishgirlsarebetter
Yes, a blown head gasket can cause a loss of power. But is that the case in this car, I dont know. Are you loosing radiator fluid? Is oil in your radiator fluid? Is radiator fluid in your oil? Is smoke coming out of the exhaust? These are all signs of a blown head gasket. A compression check will most likely tell you if you have a blown head gasket.
You should be able to read the code your self. Do this procedure.
When the CHECK ENGINE warning light has been reported on, turn the ignition ON, pull down the passenger's side carpet inspection flap from under the dashboard, and monitor the LED on the top of the control unit. The LED indicates a system failure code by its blinking frequency.

The control unit LED can indicate any number of simultaneous component problems by blinking separate codes, one after another.

So basically count the number of blinks. If it blinks 6 times, then pauses, then blinks 6 times and pauses over and over, you have 1 code and it is #6. If it blinks 6 times, then pauses, then blinks 12 times, then pauses, then blinks 4 times and pauses, then starts over at 6, then you have three codes. Code 6, 12, and 4.
If you can figues out the blinks, then I will tell you what the code means.

Mikeybdman
Thanks so much for all the help!

Irishgirlsarebetter
Can I check for this " code" on my 88 honda wagon 4 door?

Mtnharmony
For your wagon, use this method.
Without Scan Tool

How to Display and Read Diagnostic Trouble Codes

In the event of a PGM-FI system malfunction, a dash mounted indicator lamp will illuminate and stay On. When this condition occurs, it will be necessary to check the ECU LED display to diagnose PGM-FI system malfunctions.

When the dash mounted indicator lamp is illuminated, remove the right door sill molding and small cover on the kick panel, then pull down the carpet from under the dashboard to expose the ECU. Turn on the ignition switch and observe the LED on top of the ECU. The LED will indicate a system failure code by blinking frequency and two second pauses.

As an example: One blink, followed by a two second pause, followed by one blink and another two second pause indicates a failure code 1.
Two blinks, followed by a two second pause, followed by two blinks and another two second pause indicates a failure code 2.
The ECU is also capable of indicating simultaneous failure codes as follows: One blink, followed by a two second pause, followed by two blinks and another two second pause indicates failure codes 1 and 2.

Mikeybdman