BRAKES

Honda Civic

2000 Honda Civic, Automatic, 60,000mi - My car has been acting up. While driving home the other day, my husband noticed a smell coming into the car. It smelled like burnt rubber. He then saw steam coming out from under the hood. As he reached a stop light, he pushed on the brakes and found the pedal to be elevated higher than usual. In order to stop the car, we don't have to push down very far on the brake pedal. Also, the car is having trouble accelerating. We believe the problem to be that the brakes are some-what stuck and rubbing against the tires. How much should a repair like this cost?
Sbrow103

I suspect the brakes and I would look first to the back brakes. I don't like the caliper system that Honda used on the rear. They require a screw mechanism and should that fail they can really lock down tight. After driving the car for a short distance, say a mile or so, check the brake rotors for warmth. They should be warm but not hot. They should not be something that cooks an egg, etc. Becareful with the inspection not to get burned but this should help you locate the culprit. Check them all.

Bruce Hunt