97 POWER DOOR LOCKS NOT FUNCTIONING

1997 Honda Civic

1997 Honda Civic LX 4dr
200,000 miles

The power door locks on my car are not locking/unlocking the doors. None of the doors. I checked the fuses and they are ok. I also tested the switch and it showed continuity for both lock/unlock. I then reconnected the wires and tested them at the other end, where it plugs in to the Power Lock Control module and flipped the switch again. Continuity appeared on the wires there. That eliminated a bad wire from the switch to the module.

I then, referencing the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, tested continuity from the control module to the driver's door lock actuator. This seemed strange to me, but the wires which were supposed to (if I read the diagram correctly) indicate the switch locking/unlocking showed continuity without doing anything to the switch.

With everything plugged in, toggling the switch does not result in any sound being made (the typical clicking sound that occurred when i would lock or unlock the doors)

My questions are:

1) how often does the power lock control module fail?
2) how can i remove the actuator to more easily test it?
3) does the lack of that sound indicate actuator or this control module?
4) would a failing driver's door actuator cause the other doors to not lock/unlock, or are most likely all 4 door hosed up?

Let me know if you need anymore info or more explanation. I'm also attaching a pic of the control module from one i found on eBay.

Thanks,
Nick

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/87246_1201661986_1.jpg

Nicklunn44

I am headed out the door but I quick pulled together material that should help you out with diagrams, testing, etc. I will email it to you here shortly.

Bruce Hunt
How did you determine the problem and what did you do to fix it. My civic has the same issue.

1997 Honda Civic LX 4 Door
118,000 miles

Airday
Hey I have the same problem except I have a 1999 honda civic ex, I cant figure out what the problem is but my locks stil lmake the clicking sound. Anyone know what could be the problem?

Tudor
Is it that the lifespan of the part is 10 years?
Can I see those diagrams too?
What parts would I need to order?
Thanks for any help : )

Can anyone recoomend a reputable (fair priced) honda mechanic in the area? Chicago?

-Luis ?

Luism
Has anyone fixed the problem? I have a 1998 Civic EX coupe with exact same problem. Question: If you replace the lock control module, do you need new remotes for the car? Can anyone please e-mail me the solution. : P

Thanks. : Lol:

Pilotstev
The remotes can be reprogrammed at any time, I've bought a few off eBay. There's a way to associate them with your specific keyless.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

Great resource.

Topgun1226
Thanks a lot for the info on the keyless info. I still have yet to determine the solution to my inoperative power locks. I get no clicking sound at all with remote or with electric switch on door. I have checked the fuses. Honda wants $100 for a new Power Lock Module (the blue box in the picture). Will replacing that fix my problem. What easy troubleshoot items am I missing? What is the common malfunction with Hondas in this situation? I am fairly confident it is not the locking mechanism at the door locks themselves, but not 100%.

Please help if you can. I've had this car for 10 years, and want to repair everything before I sell it.

Thanks.

Pilotstev
I have the central locking problem in my 2003 civic. It only works when the engine/power is on. It happened since my son dropped a coin into the CD player. It stopped working since then, besides central locking, auto light fails when the engine/power is off, as well. All fuses are OK. Any suggestion? (I haven't changed the dead CD player, btw). Thanks for your help in advanced.

Hi, im having the same problem. Can anyone pls pm me how to fix this. I would appreciate i. Thanks

Motoi860
I had a similar electric lock problem on my 1990 Accord. First the electric locks would work intermittently, then one day they quit working all together. It turned out to be a bad solder joint on the lock control module circuit board. The relay terminal that connected to pin #3 was broken and was easy to locate by looking for broken solder on the bottom side of the board. After heating the joint with a soldering iron and applying a dab of solder it works good-as-new.
The door panel had to be removed, the lock control module removed and then opened. It was really a fairly simple repair.
Since I didn't need to purchase a new control module I saved quite a few $$.

Ugaprof