92 LX ELECTRICAL POWER SURGES/ BLOWN HEADLIGHTS

1992 Honda Civic

My check battery light came on a day after my son drove the car back to Chicago from New York, 208K miles on it.

The repair shop who shall remain nameless told me it was the battery. I took the 14 month old battery to where it was purchased and they told me that it was good and they recharged it. The mecahnics replaced the alternator and belt with a Bosch alternator. I replaced a headlight which subsequently blew out after 1 hour of driving. I took the car in for an emmisions test where they were revving the engine and it passed emmisions. The next day my son left for New York and made it about 50 miles before the battery started bubbling and the acid strted coming out. The battery store told me it was getting overcharged, the mechanic told me it was a bad battery. I replaced the battery. My son left for school again and at 1 AM in the morning both headlights blew out about 50 miles east of Cleveland. The car had to be towed 50 miles to a mechanic who replaced the alternator, battery and two headlights. I told my son to call me if the fan started to surge. Is it a regulator or computer problem?
Chipaul41

Reg. Whatever senses the batt voltage could be the problem

Jack42