EX - ELECTRICAL

2002 Honda Civic

A few months ago my car died as I was driving, it was determined to be an electrial problem, some bad wires had shorted and it was blowing out the fuel injector fuse. It was fixed, and the car ran fine. Recently some of the dash lights have been dimming and then brightening. Tonight my lights turned on after I had parked at work and turned them off. I had to turn on the lights and then turn them off again to get them to go out.

I bought the car used, and noticed a few weeks after purchasing it the right parking headlight only turns on when using the turn signal or emergency flashers.

The car is approaching 100,000 mi. I replaced the timing belt after purchasing and have a/c problems with the car as well.

Will the headlights continue to come on sporatically? I am hesitant to take it to the same mechanic and don't want to use a dealership for financial reasons. Any advice?
Civic Jon2

Does the car have daytime running lights? Is that possible what is turning on and off the lights and thus having problems?

Bruce Hunt
The car does not have daytime running lights.

Civic Jon2
Sounds like a switch is failing. It will probably get worse rather soon and there are tests with a volt-ohm meter.

Bruce Hunt
A quick update: The lights have not come on by their own again, and the car drove home fine from work. But this morning when I drove to work, a malfunction light came on the dash. According to the manual, that means there is an emissions problem and I should take it to a dealer.

Would a standard mechanic be able to find the problem, or is the dealer my only option at this point?

Civic Jon2
A dealer would be a good option but a well qualified mechanic should also be able to do the work.

Bruce Hunt