CODE P700 AND P715

1997 Honda Civic

1997 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 160500 miles

We got the code P700 and P715 for our 97 honda civic ex. With 160500 milesage

The problem with our car is that everytime we accelerate it's sluggish and it gives a shock, but thats only if we been driving for 20 minutes or more. Like when we are accelerating the rpm would around 2 but then it shoots up to 4 really fast. Also when we are driving D4 it automatically shift to D3 by itself, but that happens occasionally.
Phanqkhoi

Hi phanqkhoi,

P0700 means there is at least one trouble codes with the transmission and in this case it is P0715.

DTC P0715/15: MAINSHAFT SPEED SENSOR

NOTE: DTC P0715 doesn't always mean an electrical problem in mainshaft speed sensor or circuit. This DTC can also be caused by a mechanical problem in transaxle.

1. Ensure mainshaft and countershaft speed sensors are installed properly. Disconnect mainshaft speed sensor harness connector. Using a DVOM, measure resistance between sensor terminals.

2. If resistance is not 400-600 ohms, replace mainshaft speed sensor. If resistance is 400-600 ohms, disconnect 25-pin PCM harness connector " B". Check for continuity between ground and 25-pin PCM harness connector " B", terminals No. 15 (Red wire) and No. 14 (White wire).

3. If continuity is present, repair short to ground in Red or White wire between PCM and mainshaft speed sensor. If continuity is not present, reconnect mainshaft speed sensor harness connector. Measure resistance between 25-pin PCM harness connector " B", terminals No. 15 (Red wire) and No. 14 (White wire).

4. If resistance is not 400-600 ohms, go to next step. If resistance is 400-600 ohms, go to DTC
P0720 (FLASH CODE 9). Check for loose PCM harness connectors. Replace PCM with a
known-good unit if necessary.

5. Disconnect mainshaft speed sensor harness connector. Check Red wire for continuity between 25-pin PCM harness connector " B", terminal No. 15 and mainshaft speed sensor harness connector. If continuity is present, go to next step. If continuity is not present, repair open in Red wire between 25-pin PCM harness connector and mainshaft speed sensor
harness connector.

6. Check White wire for continuity between 25-pin PCM harness connector " B", terminal No. 14 and mainshaft speed sensor harness connector. If continuity is present, check for loose PCM harness connectors. Replace PCM with a known-good unit if necessary. If continuity is not present, repair open in White wire between 25-pin PCM harness connector and mainshaft speed sensor harness connector.

Page 1 of 1
DIAGNOSIS - A4RA, B4RA & M4RA -1997 Honda Civic EX
28/3/2010

I am having the same problem as above. I followed the advice given, I only see a ground for the white wire in the harnes connector when the 25 pin connector is still attatched to the pcm, otherwise ( when disconnected I have no ground. The speed sensor checks good (498 ohms) after removing and reconnecting conectors the problem is less often and less severe, am I seeing a pcm problem or possably just a corrotion issue( if thats the case I will obtain some de-oxit (a cleaner/anticorrosive that has worked well for me) and hit the connectors with it. You advice given was verry heplfull and I appretiate any further help you may provide. Thank you for you time.

Carshowreject
When the White wire is not grounded with PCM disconnected, it means the wire is good. There should be no ground.

When you unplug the connector for the sensor, did you check for signs of contaminations? Use the de-oxit and retest. Hope it works.

Thank you for your quick reply, I will be using product in morning, not too much contamination but contacts may have some corrotion since problem lessened after repeted plugging/unplugging of connectors.( Btw spelling is not my strength so if I do not make sense I am sorry) thank you for your help.

Carshowreject
You're welcome.

If you require further assistance, just post reply here and I will get back to you.

Have a nice day.