CHUGS WHEN TRAVELLING UPHILL

1996 Honda Civic

I have a high mileage 1996 Honda Civic hatchback.
Great little car but just recently am worried.
I have noticed when going up a hill it doesnt want to go up at a fast rate when starting from starting off speed. Once I hit over 80 on a flat road tho it will go no matter how much gas I give it. Its just going up a hill that when giving it gas it chugs. It feels like its going to stall. On flat roads tho and at such a slow speed it will gradulally get faster without any hesitation. The engine light has been on for the past 5 years and the mechanic says its fine but when this happened it flashed. Can anyone think of what it might be?Im thinking its the fuel pump but confused as why it would work on flat road but not on a hil.
Thanks for your help
Zamboni

These two ideas come to mind. First of all, junk in the fuel tank. Secondly, 5 years on the check engine light. Your mechanic is an idiot. Get the codes from the computer. They continue to add up. Fix the light issue!

Bruce Hunt