ENGINE NOISE WHILE ACCELERATING AND GOING UPHILL; IDLE

Honda Accord

I have a 1991 Honda Accord Ex coupe. It currently has about 142,000 miles on it and the problem has seemed to arise quite recently. The engine causes quite a lot of noise when you are accerlerating and going up a hill. I want to say that it knocks, but it is quite a loud noise that can be heard as well as felt. An addition to that, it also idles wierd. It idles fine during initial start-up as all cars do, but once it is warmed up it idles up and down probably lopes about 200RPM in both directions. The idling does not bother me as much as the LOUD noise from accelerating and going up hill. I have taken it to several places and I have been told that it was the motor mounts, so I changes those that the noise is still there. I have also heard that it can be the clutch, but I am not so sure that it can be that because then other problems and/or noises can occur. Besides if it was the clutch then it would be constant and it is not. The noise is there when it seems that the engine is under load such as accerlerating and up hill travel. What is the problem here. Can someone help me out and tell me a solution. Thanks.
Knbond1

Hummm, my 90 was making the same noise and I found a bad EGR valve. I can't hear your noise but I can imagine. Let me know

Losone
Thanks I will try it out and let you know.

Knbond1
I would also like to add that in addition to what I previously described, the noise is only there when I am in gear and on the gas, as soon as the gas pedel is released, the noise is gone. The noise is probably only there between 2000-3200 RPM's. So do you think that it is still the EGR valve, because I am planning on buying one as well as changing out my sparks plugs and wires. I found a used EGR valve on ebay that also included an idle air control valve, both used. Do you think that is s wise purchase or just spend a lot more on a new one? What about cleaning the throttle body out with cleaner and replacing the throttle body gaskets and intake manifold gaskets? And while I'm asking you this, do you think that the fuel injectors could get faulty or bad after 142000 miles? Could all those things be more variables to the knocking noise that you say is due to the EGR valve? I would like to know what you think. Thanks.

Knbond1
The EGR valave is used mostly when you back off the gas pedal and at idle for an extended time. The E bay stuff looks like a good buy.

The injectors have an micro screen filter built into the gas end of the injector. It could be they are not processing the fuel. 142K won't hurt the injectors as long as the fuel is clean.

I wish I could hear the noise. Is it a sheet metal noise (tinny) or a deep noise from the engine or exhaust? Sometimes the converter will break down inside and sounds like a rattling roar. Try and describe the noise a little better. Let me know

Losone
The loping you describe sounds like you have a vacuum leak, which would also explain the pinging you're experiencing while under load (too lean).

Check all the vacuum hoses and connections and also the intake manifold gasket.

Hope this helps

Benz_Guy
The EGR valve is not the problem. This is getting pretty frustrating. What else do you have in mind? I think that it could be the throwout bearing. It makes the noise while going up hill and mostly while accelerating. I should point out that the noise at first was very minimal. Now it has progressed to do it when there is gas applied. Again thank you.

Knbond1
Have you done a good check of the sheet metal? Those kind of noises can be annoying. Have some one sit in the car in neutral with the brake applied. Feather the engine throttle from the engine. See if you can see where the nosie originates. Most important

Losone