WHINE DURING ACCELERATION

2004 Honda Accord

Noises problem
2004 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 64880 miles

A few weeks back I noticed that my car was making a whining sound upon acceleration. The sound comes from the front passenger side of the car. You can hear it from inside the car but it's louder & more clear from the outside or with the windows down. I got the car serviced today and they said that it was the Power Steering pump. They said that it shouldn't make that sound and the part would cost about $330. This is from my local Honda dealer. There is nothing wrong with the steering. The car seems to drive just fine, but the whine is an annoyance that only occurs on acceleration.

Does this really sound like a power steering issue? It does seem to come from that area of the car; however, since there are no issues with the steering and it happens during acceleration I'm having a hard time understanding it. Also, does the pump completely need to be replaced or possibly just tweeked in some way?
Sapooh