A/C COMPRESSOR CYCLES ON/OFF, RECEIVING P

2004 Honda Accord

Air Conditioning problem
2004 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 58,000 miles

1st problem was 2 weeks ago. AC blowing warm air. Took to local shop (pep boys/goodyear) and they replaced the relay and did an evac/recharge since the system was overcharged quite a bit.

Three days after I picked up the car, the A/C would run for about 15-20 minutes then the compressor would cycle off for 5-10 minutes, before coming back on. I first thought that the charge levels might be wrong, so I decided to take it back to Pep Boys as soon as I had a chance (about 2 weeks later). The morning I took it to Pep Boys, I had no cold air whatsoever. The compressor was not turning on at all.

They said that the compressor was receiving power but not outputting power and needed to be replaced, along with the compressor clutch, drier, ect ect. Total cost = $1,011.88 out the door.

My question is this. Should they have caught this the first time around? They said that it was a new development since I had previously brought it in. My second question is that if it's an electronic issue where the compressor is receiving power but not outputting power, does that necessarily mean the entire compressor assembly needs to be replaced at around a thousand bucks?
Thepaulse

Hi thepaulse,

If the magnetic clutch or its coils is bad, replacing it would do. There is no necessity to replace the complete compressor. I would suggest getting a second opinion.