MOTOR MOUNTS

2001 Honda Accord

2001 Honda Accord 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 68500 miles

Hey Everyone,

So I bought a 2001 Honda Accord Coupe (6cyl EX w/ 68,500 miles) in January after having great success with my 1998 Honda Accord Sedan for 12 years. Love the upgrade but just found out that it has 2 broken motor mounts. The technician mentioned that it will cost $200 per motor mount to fix.

A) Is this reasonable?

B) Is this a common problem with this year Accord?

C) Should I worry about driving the car too much until this is fixed?

Thanks!

Joop

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/404015_Accord_1.jpg

Joopwinner

A)Yes it is a reasonable price
b)Wouldn't say it's a common problem, but does happen to honda of that generation.
C)I wouldn't drive it if it's broken. If it's worn out, I'd take it easy until they are replaced.

F4I_guy
Thank you! I don't know if the mounts are broken or just worn out. The technician said that I could drive the car but that the longer I drive it, the more the other motor mounts will be stressed, thereby increasing the chances of more mounts breaking.

I read that you typically feel increased vibration when revving the engine. I haven't experienced that as far as I can tell, so maybe the mounts are just worn or cracked?

I made an appointment to have them fixed on the 20th of this month. Hopefully I won't run into any problems before that!

Joopwinner
I WAS JUST TOLD BY A hONDA REPAIR DEALER I HAVE 2 BAD MOTOR MOUNTS ON MY 2001 ACCORD WITH 70000 MILES, tHE MOUNTS LOOK OK AND THE ENGINE DOESNT SHAKE WHEN REVVED. THEY WANTED 700 TO REPLACE BOTH, I'M SURE I CAN GET A BETTER DEAL. I was at Honda to get the recallled SRS problem fixed at no charge. Think they wanted to make a little cash off me?

Hondapaul
The engine won't shake when revved. It will move excessively when under load. The V6 can be a pain to replace mounts on (depending on which ones are bad). $700 sounds a bit high, but you didn't mention the parts price in that. I don't deal with parts, only labor hours. If you want to check the mounts, most of the time, if you place the car in D or R (again depending on the mount that is bad), hold down the brake and apply some gas, you can have someone look at the engine to see how much movement is going on. Sometimes it is VERY obvious by how much the engine moves, other times not quite as much, but you can tell. The problem with letting them go is, the more movement the engine makes, the more it taxes the remaining good mounts and before you know it, you will need ALL new mounts. You can have another shop verify the integrity of your mounts, if you don't trust the dealer.

Sambal Badjak
Thanks for the reply. It is a V6 and I think they mentioned it was the front and side. $700 was for parts and labor, both mounts. I'm going to price around and get another opinion. I like to think that the dealer mechanics would know best.

Hondapaul