ENGINE IDLE

1997 Honda Accord

1997 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 153000 miles

I had an oil leak from the front balancer shaft seal. I replaced that along with the timing and balancer shaft belts while I was in there since they had oil on them. Since that time, the idle has been sporadically jumping from a normal idle of just under 1000 rmp's to about 1500 and back down. The jump is for just a second and then it goes back down. The jumping can occur several times in a row. It doesn't do this on a regular basis. It has never happened before. The engine feels, sounds and performs just fine even when the idle is jumping.

Did I damage some electronic component? There was a couple of electronic components near the bottom on the timing cover by the crankshaft seal that were oily. I wiped them off.

Thanks!
Nosajb