- BOUNCY TACH AND HESITATION

1997 Honda Accord

I have a 1997 Honda Accord with 145,000 miles on it. Every day while driving to/from work I have a problem after around 5-10 minutes of driving and will continue sporadically. Basically the tachometer will bounce all over the place and at times rest at 0. Every once in awhile I will feel slight hesitation in the car at the same time but that's not constant (the tach will still bounce around w/ no hesitation most of the time). Any ideas on what the problem could be? Has been happening for the last week.

Thanks, Patrick
Patrickshean

I would suspect the VSS sensor. I might have said the tach was to blame but the little hesitation tells me that the sensor might not be constantly telling the computer the speed of the vehicle and thus failing.

Bruce Hunt
I had done a lot of reading to see if anybody had the same symptons and there were quite a few. I decided to follow their advice and replaced the ignition coil and that solved my problem. I appreciate your help and wanted to post this solution in case others have the same problem.

Patrickshean