REMOVAL OF HARMONIC BALANCER

1993 Honda Accord

1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Is there a way to remove the screw from the crankshaft when the harmonic balancer is broken.
Darnellb327

The way we do it is with a very strong impact gun. The Hondas can be very tight. There is another trick we use sometimes. Get a long, high quality breaker bar with a short impact socket. Position the breaker bar handle below the frame, between the frame and the ground so the frame will catch the bar if it comes up. Now go in and bump the starter. When the breaker bar slaps the frame, it will usually crack the bolt loose. Just be very careful as this bar will swing with a lot of force.

Wrenchtech
You cannot use the starter for this engine. The engine turns anti-clockwise with the central bolt right threaded. Using the starter would tighten the bolt more.

Bolt is torqued at 150 psi so it is not easy to remove. Either you use a high torqued impact as mentioned by Wrenchtech or you would have to get the special socket for holdking the pulley and open with an extension socket.

Spraying some wd40 at the bolt and using a bar to bang at the bolt a few times might help if the impact wrench is not strong enough.

If the engine rotates counter-clockwise, that would be the correct direction to loosen a right hand thread bolt.

Wrenchtech
Think again.

I'm assuming that counter-clockwise is not facing he engine but facing in the same direction as the engine as left and right is normally determined.

Wrenchtech
When removing the crank bolt, we need to face the engine from the pulley. Whichever way the engine is facing is not the problem. When the engine is being cranked or running, it is the direction as opposed to the removal of the bolt that matters.

Almost all engine have the crank turning clockwise with right threaded bolts and cranking with a breaker bar and socket would remove the bolt.

Honda engines of pre-y2k models are 99 % anticlockwise from pulley with right threaded bolts. How would the bolt come loose if the engine is turning in opposite direction non-hondas?

Gotcha.
Just a mistake in communication

Wrenchtech
No problem. Sometimes the brain just don't want to work correctly, been there, lol

Will be seeing you around and if there is anything that I can help, let me know.

Have a nice day.