MILES PER GALLON

1992 Honda Accord

1992 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 156k miles

I recently bought a 1992 Honda Accord as a commuter car. I had it inspected and there are no leaks the engine runs good and the only thing necessary was to get new brake pads and rotors for the front brakes. However I see all these things that say the car gets 30mpg and better however I filled the car and I went 375 miles all on the highway (80 mile commutes roundtrip) and the gas light came on. It took 14.7 gallons of gas from this point. That is only 25.5 mpg. Is there something that could possibly be wrong as to why I am not seeing the mpg that is always touted? Is this an engine issue?
Kreeves10

Hi there,

I feel that this is new car specs, older cars will get a little less, have you had a tune up done? Checked for any unresolved fault codes? And if you use premium fuel, you will get an improvement in economy and power.

Mhpautos
Thanks for your reply. The car had the spark plugs changed about 6 months prior to my purchasing it a month ago adn it had an oil change and the air filter replaced. Ive seen people say " full tune up" What other things other than changing the spark plugs which were recently done can I do to give it a " full tune up" I will aslo try the premium gas to see how that works out.

Kreeves10
Full tune up would include tappet clearance check, leads, cap rotor scan timing check fuel filter.

Mhpautos