ENGINE CUTTING OFF

1989 Honda Accord

1989 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

When I first start the car, it runs well. I'll drive to an errand, then shut it off. When I start it up again, the tachometer is erratic, I could be driving on the freeway, say, 55-70 mph. Then the tach. Will read at " 0". But I am still driving down the freeway. All of a sudden, the engine cuts out. After perhaps 15-20 minutes, it will start up again. I have changed a fuel pump( in the tank), new alternator. Can somebody help?
Stubby1

Check the ignition module in the dist. They will usually fail hot, then when cool run for a while.
Most autoparts stores can check the ign. Module for free.

Mmprince4000
Is this the the same remedy for the tachometer?

Stubby1
There is a small " can" on the dist. Called the tach filter. It may be bad.

Ignition modules are usually very expensive for japanese cars, look into a remanufactured dist. Vs the cost of the ignitor itself.
On some Toyoya's it is cheaper to buy the complete dist. W/module rather than the module itself.

Mmprince4000
I have changed the ingnition module in my 89 Honda accord, and it still cuts out.

Stubby1

Stubby1
Have the fuel pressure tested with a mechanical gauge.
Have the coil tested.
Another posibibility is the ign. Switch. If, when the car cuts off, the wipers or radio also do not work, then the ign switch is bad.

If the above is OK, then I would check all fuses and fusible links, inspect all wiring for any open insulation or burn marks.

But the fact that the tach. Is acting erratic leads me to believe it is ignition.

Mmprince4000