ENGINE IGNITION/TIMING BELT?

1987 Honda Accord

1987 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 122000 miles

Hola. I have a 1987 Honda accord DX with 122.000 miles on it. Last night I was driving about 30 miles an hour when the engine quit. It has from time to time when I go to accelerate, it hesitates for a moment like it wants to die before it answers to the gas pedal. It is carbureted. I just installed a new water pump and thermostat on it last month. It has had a problem with the temperature of the heater’s output on colder days in the 30 degrees and below when driving down the road it turns ice cold air in output to the cabin. The temp gage will remain below cold unless the car is setting at idle for extended periods. And the gauge raises about quarter of the way, until I start driving down the road then it drops back to below cold a stays and the air output turns cooler. Is it possible that the timing belt broke or the engine jumped time? I have never had a car engine just quit operating like this. I have full power electrically. The starter turns over but the cranking sounds odd. I do not know if it is sparking or not yet.
Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
I use the car in my work. And need to get it back on the road. Blessings in the name of Jesus
BAO7

Form your description of it just stopping working and the fact that it sounds " odd" while cranking I suspect the timing belt has broken. Have a check and let us know?

TIMING & BALANCE SHAFT BELTS
Removal
Disconnect negative battery cable. Position crankshaft with cylinder No. 1 at TDC of compression stroke. Disconnect battery negative cable. Remove splash shield. Remove cruise control actuator, leaving cable connected. Remove power steering pump, leaving hoses connected.
Disconnect alternator wiring. Remove wiring harness from valve cover. Remove alternator and A/C belts (if equipped). Remove valve cover and upper timing belt cover. Remove side engine mount. Remove engine oil dipstick and tube. Remove crankshaft pulley. Support engine. Remove 2 rear bolts from engine center support beam. Lower engine enough to permit removal of lower timing belt cover. Remove rubber seal from belt tension adjuster nut. Remove lower timing belt cover.
CAUTION: DO NOT rotate crankshaft or camshaft when removing timing belts.

Lock timing belt adjuster arm into position by installing one lower cover retaining bolt. Loosen belt tension adjuster bolt. See Fig. 5. Push belt tensioner to release tension from belt. Tighten adjuster bolt. Remove balance shaft and camshaft timing belts.
With belt or belt covers removed, inspect belts for wear, cracks, or oil soaking. Inspect belt teeth for wear. Replace belt if worn, oil soaked, or cracked.
Installation
Align White mark on flywheel or drive plate (flexplate) with pointer on block. Ensure camshaft(s) is at TDC for No. 1 cylinder.. Install camshaft timing belt. Align rear timing balance shaft belt pulley by inserting a 6 x 100 mm bolt 2.9" (74 mm) into alignment access hole. Align groove on front balance shaft pulley with pointer on oil pump body. Adjust timing belt tension by rotating crankshaft counterclockwise until No. 1 piston is at TDC of compression stroke. Loosen, but do not remove, timing belt adjustment bolt. Rotate crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on camshaft pulley to create tension on timing belt. Tighten adjustment bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS.
Reverse removal procedure to complete installation. Tighten crankshaft pulley bolt to specification. See TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. Adjust drive belts to proper tension.

Dave H