ENGINE WILL NOT FIRE

1995 Holden Statesman

1995 Holden Statesman V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Car has run out of petrol. Has been refuled with 20 Lts and ran for a while then another 20 Lts was added and the car will not run. Fuel filter has been replaced and was clogged. Fuel is getting to the injectors, the injectors are receiving and elec signal, there is spark, plugs gave been cleaned and computer puts out code 12 which I am lead to believe is the code for everything is ok. Will crank well and even with areostart will not fire.
Nuts460

Hi there.

I would start with re checking the plugs as they don't take much to foul up, with the plugs out re check spark, and if OK re fit plugs and re try

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos
Re checked spark plugs and continued getting spark.
Mobile mechanic came out and diagnosed a crank angle sensor. I am a little dubious about this, as I understand that if the crank angle sensor has failed that you will not see any spark at the plugs. Is this correct?

Nuts460
Hi there,

That is normally the case, do you know what code he pulled? Did you have a good spark? If spark is a problem often DFI modules can act up on these engines, would like the code if you can.

Mhpautos
The mobile mechanic did not use a diagnostic computer he used a small tool between the spark plug lead and the spark plug and determined that there was no spark. Last week when we encountered the problem I bridged 2 terminals on the computer plug under the dash and got code 12 which after doing some research was found to be the " everything is ok" code.

Nuts460
There is a procedure for testing the ignition system, I will have to dig it up as it is not in this US data base.

Mhpautos
Had the crank angle sensor replaced and car ran fine for about a week, then I died again. It went back to the mechanic who said it is the key, so it has gone back to holden to get and new key and maybe module fitted

Nuts460
Holden took the vehicle and determined that the coil and leeds were knackered.
Thank you for all your advice it was all very helpfull

Nuts460