LOW IDLE

2002 GMC Yukon

2002 GMC Yukon V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

Engine starts fine but runs at a very low idle. Around 400-500 and surges. With the AC on it does not seem to have enough power to provide cooling. AC works fine at higher speed. When turning at low speed sometimes the steering becomes difficult and engine will die. Have replaced plugs and plug wires but still has the same problem. Have read your section on the IAC, but would like help in checking this on my specific model. I've been laid off, so can't afford to have it worked on by a professional. Any help would be appreciated.
JustJimBob

Hi
Check engine light on? What is engine size? Remove and clean passage ports into throttle and clean throttle body. Use a throttle body cleaner and a tooth brush. See if this improves also a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner would help.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Nope. No check engine light. Engine is 6 liter. Could you tell me where I will find the throttle body? Sorry.I know that is a dumb question, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.

JustJimBob
Hi
see diagram

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_142.jpg

Also remove and clean passageways of the Idle Air Control
Throttle body remove air snorkle clean disc and surounding area. round thing in center of diagram

Docfixit
Thanks, I cleaned the throttle body and the IAC and it is running better. Inside the throttle body it was really dirty with a black grime. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from occuring again or does that indicate another problem? Thanks again. Jim

JustJimBob
That is normal change air filter regulary and clean throttle body every 15K

Docfixit