SUBURBAN HUMMING SOUND FROM REAR

1997 GMC Yukon

1997 GMC Surburban with 87K and 5.7L. The humming is present only when the engine is running, but does not change pitch with engine RPM. It sounds like it is coming from the fuel tank and I think it is the fuel pump. I removed most of the fuses one at a time and the noise persisted. When I removed the fuel pump relay the noise stopped, of course so did my engine.

Do you think I should replace the fuel pump, and how big of a job is it?

Thanks a bunch!
Bluesbro

I had 140.00 on my first fuel pump. Just replace the fuel filter if its been a while and drive it like you own it. My aftermaket fuel pump is noisier than the stock one but it works fine.

Phil
My 97 sierra has made that very same noise since day one no biggie just a little annoying from time to time

Wimpy
That makes me feel better. I just bought it off a lot. I probably will replace the fuel filter along with the tranny fluid and check the brakes. Apparently it has some sticky door switches as well; I found the battery near dead with the interior lights on this morning.

Bluesbro
When ever I buy a new to me used car I just go thru it and change all the fluids and filters. To know my base line on service. And most people don't know to change other fluids than the eng. Oil. Differential, trans, front diff, power steering (some have a internal filter that can be serviced). Fuel etc. I don't know when or if the last owner did

Palco