ALTERNATOR BRACKET

1988 GMC Truck

1988 GMC Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I am asking this question for a friend. The bolts are broken off of the bracket on which the alternator is mounted and he can not figure out a way to remove the broken bolts without pulling the engine out of the truck. Any suggestions?

If not, is it possible put the alternator belt on without running it to the power stearing unit? This is the only thing wrong with the truck and it belongs to my friend's teenage son. He needs it to be able to drive the truck to get back and forth to work until he can afford to take it to the shop to have the engine taken out and the broken bolts removed. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Freycyclers

You should be able to remove the bolts without pulling the engine ! Move some stuff out of the way, fan, shroud, whatever. First try to get the to move with a small chisel and hammer. If that does not work, drill the center of the bolts and use an " easy-out" or bolt extractor. You can do this ! Good luck. Mickey-d

Mickey-d