GRINDING AND POPPING NOISE

2000 GMC Sonoma

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 GMC Sonoma 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

I had a truck come to my shop about a month ago with a complaint of a grinding and popping noise coming from the rear end. I checked the U-Joints, the one at the pinion flange end has a very tiny amount of play in it, but the rest are tight as can be. Now the drive shaft center bearing is completely shot. When you accelerate and put a load on the drive-train, you can hear and feel a grinding accompanied by a clicking sound. Coasting and in neutral, nothing. Up on stands, under acceleration you can hear the grinding, especially after letting off of the gas. It mostly resonates througn the left axle. I pulled the diff apart and found a lot of metal shavings, and some damage to the ring gear. I replaced the ring and pinion, the diff bearings, and the axle bearings and seals. Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem. Same symptoms. Any suggestions?
5000Stall

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Did you check that the tight universals were not in fact rusted tight? I have seen this a few times, on a standard visual and feel they look and feel fine, but on removing the cups, they have been rather rusted and pitted causing the noise, wort a look if you have not already.

Mhpautos