MISS FIRE CODE

2002 GMC Savana

2002 GMC Savana V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

I have had a misfire code for some time only when I am accelerating and/or under load. Now the misfire code flashes whenever I pass 60 mph. I have never felt the engine running rough but a few times, but more recently I have. After an oil change it seems to stop the misfire until I am within the last 1000 miles of the 3000 between changes. I switched to full synthetic oil which seemed to stop it from misfiring the first 2 changes, but the last 1000 miles it has flashed every time I pass 60. I have had a complete tune-up. When I had it checked at a GM dealer early on (out of warranty) they wanted to remove the cylinder and check for binding in the valve. Then possibly machining the valve stem and hone the guide. Very expensive. I was advised that if it wasn't running rough and it only was happening infrequently not to worry about it.
Any thoughts?
Firelt

Engine running rough or misfiring can be cause by the following: 1. Defective spark plug
2. Inadequate spark/coil, defective spark plug wire.
3. Lack of compression
4. False air leakage.
5. Faulty fuel injectors.
6. Insufficient fuel pressure.
7. Contaminated fuel.
8. EGR valve that is leaking.
9. Oxygen sensors.
10. Throttle position sensor.
11. Idle air control valve.