IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE REPLACEMENT

GMC Safari

1994 GMC Safari, 4.3L V6 EFI 180500 miles

I replaced the IACV with a new one. Now the engine idles aprox 2000 rpm. Followed the " RESET PROCESS" (Operate vehicle @ norm eng temp at 40mph. The ECM will command the IACV pintle to mate and proper idle regulation should now result) It didn't!
I cleaned the old IACV and reinstalled and I've a better idle but not smooth.

Any suggestions?

v/r Steven Bridge
STB

You may have picked up a faulty part or the ecm didnt relearn with the new iac, you may want to return the one you bought and try another, it sounds like you know what your doing as far as install and learning, need anything else let us know

jim

CHEVYII
Hey chevy. Whatever he said on the reset procedure that sure didn't sounds like the 1 we used from alldata.I never try or look if tech2 have bidirectional on an older car like this. What u say chevy2.

By the way. Owner of this car--> > where u get the reset procedure?

Kin chan
I just rechecked in gm's si and he pinned it, when the iac has been disconnected the reset/relearn procedure is to run engine until normal o/t and drive it over 35 mph, it does say in parenthesis some models require a key on and off procedure

thanks kin

CHEVYII
Wait a minute. Jim.94' on gm is a split year.I know on some 4.3 is a vortex not TBI. We don'tdo the key off & on stuff. Chk that out and let me know the tail end of it.I think he's getting wrong info to reset. Let me know the tial end

Kin chan
I've found the problem! I was under the van trying to move things around. It just didn't seem to be anything with the ignition system. I grabbed ahold of one of the engine mounts and it fell apart in my hand. Once I had the mounts replaced, the rough idle went away. I guess sometimes it just takes some sitting and looking.
Thanks for everyone's assistance.

In answer to KC's question as to where I got the reset procedures, they came with the part.

Thanks again!

STB