DRIVER SIDE POWER WINDOW

1998 GMC Safari

1998 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

WHEN THE SWITCH IS PRESSED FOR UP OR DOWN THE WINDOW WILL MOVE A SHORT DISTANCE AND STOP. AFTER WAITING A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME AND THEN PRESSING THE SWITCH AGAIN, THE WINDOW WILL AGAIN MOVE A SHORT DISTANCE AND STOP. THE PROCESS CAN BE CONTINUED UNTIL THE WINDOW IS FULLY UP OR DOWN. THE WINDOW IS ON THE DRIVER SIDE AND IS AN AUTOMATIC UP & DOWN OPERATION.
Dale cappis

Inside fuse panel hols a 30 amp cicuit breaker type fuse, it could be tripping the breaker and reseting, window motor could be drawing too much ampereage. See window motor replacement in or topics...top right hand side of the page. Check breaker "B"

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Safari_1.jpg

Merlin2021
The circuit breaker is OK (I changed it with the other one). How do I check for high amperage draw? Is it possible that the automatic window has something to do with the problem? If so can this feature be bypassed?

Dale cappis
To test the amps, try replaceing the circuit breaker with a regular 30 amp fuse, Green colored, if it blows, you know the breaker is resetting. At that point it's either the switch, the window motor, or wiring to the motor. Bad wiring usually shows up in the area where the wires bend going from the door into the car. Over time openimg and closing the door breaks the wires.

Merlin2021
The window motor overheats (rapidly) and trips off. I'm told that this is another of the problems common to this model. Solution: Replace the window motor. It happened to me and this was the fix. About $350 at my shop.

JNeilson
J I think it's been fixed by now!

Merlin2021