HEAD GASKET

1989 GMC S15

Engine Cooling problem
1989 GMC S15 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My truck is very high mileage (Around 150,000) and has a head gasket problem. I don’t think the head gasket is gone completely yet but I am leaking coolant from the side of the engine block. I’ve been thinking about replacing it myself and was wondering how complicated that would be. I do have some experience with changing out parts on various vehicles including the vehicle in question, but haven’t undertaken anything of this level yet, although I do have a good working idea of the process. I’ve had several mechanics offer to buy my truck because the engine is supposed to be un-killable ('Once the initial head gasket is replaced'). It should be noted the truck has a fairly recently rebuild transmission in it, and there are no major problems with it other then the coolant leaking from the side of the block (The coolant is coming from the seam where the top of the engine meats the block). Should I even attempt the replacement myself or should I sell it as is?
Escaped_pyscho

If you get aq service manual and go step by step, I think you will be ok. This is about as easy of a head gasket job you are going to come across. It wont be easy but its not too difficult.

Mastertechtim