WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT LABOR TIME

GMC Other

My wife and I just recently had the water pump on our 1997 Olds, Delta 88, 3.8 MFI replaced. The dealer charged us 3.5 hours labor for this and 1.5 hours to flush the cooling system. These times seem to be too high. Could you please tell us what the labor rate to do these jobs are? Also shouldn't there be an over lap in labor for the flush, since the engine had to be drained?
Thanks,
Richard R. Johnson
LaValle, WI
mechanic@mwt. Net
Mechanic@mwt.net

Most shops will charge flat rate labor based on manufacturer recommendation regardless if how long it actually takes to do the job. 3.5 hours or 3.5 days it makes no difference. As to the actual recommended labor charge, I am not sure.

Mvannessjr
Hello. I was inquiring about the cost as well because I think that I have a water pump problem with my 98 chevy tahoe.

Is it as tedious process changing/replacing the water pump? Does it require lifting the engine up slightly?

Thanks!

My truck

Mytruck
Overlap does not apply when flushing cooling system after water pump replacement in my opinion. Most shops will power flush the system with a flush machine. In order to do that the system must be completely refilled at correct level meaning the water pump job would be done start to finish as if no flush was following, then the flush process would be done. At 1.5 hours I'm pretty sure it's a power flush not just drain and refill.

Tech911