STALLING OUT.....

GMC Other

I have a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird with 210,000 miles. Haveing problems with this car stalling, car is fine when driving on highway, but when I slow down to make a turn it dies, will start right back but when I try to put it into gear it dies, after 10 or 15 mins it will go. HELP ! ! ! ?
Sweet Tart

Tough question. I will say that your engine is about a 100K engine. Anything over that is on borrowed time. A mechanic needs to check it out to determine what codes are set. Good luck

Losone
The car has set no code. It runs great most of the time, just stalls when I slow down. Is it possible that I have a fuel pump problem?

Sweet Tart
Same thing here.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/92-cavalier-hesitates-while-decelerating-or-coming-to-a-stop-vt8988.html

I've tried what was first said with limited success. Haven't tried the transmission yet.

Cavalier
As far as Transmission goes I have replaced the filter and fluid, this did not help.

Sweet Tart
Hummm. I have seen this problem a few times. It could be that the torque converter is in the locked position and isn't acting as a torgue converter anymore but a straight piece of steel.

Losone
Is there any way to check the torque converter?

Sweet Tart
Short of a dismantle of the tranny there is none except a few old mechanics tricks.

First unplug your brake light switch and disconnect the purple wire. You may have to cut it but it can be put back together. This is the power to the torque Converter. Plug the sw back in so you will have brake lights.

Put the car in neutral and about 2K RPM go quickly from drive to reverse back and forth. In 90% of the cases I have " unlocked" the converter. If it unlocks you will be able to drive the car but you won't have that 200 rpm decrease when the converter locks up.

Don't reconnect the purple wire until you have a new torgue converter installed. (About $300.00)

Let me know. I will be off line until Sunday.

Losone
I have unplugged the purple wire on the brake light switch (TCC selinoid). Car seems to be runnin fine, has not stalled since I unplugged it. Thanks.

Sweet Tart
I guess my 40 years as a garage owner has paid off. I am glad I could be of help. Losone

Losone