FUEL PUMP PRESSURE

GMC Other

I HAVE A 1989 OLDS CUTLASS CIERA WITH 145,000 MILES. WE JUST PUT A FUEL PUMP IN THE CAR BUT THE CAR DOES NOT TURN THE PUMP ON WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED. YOU HAVE TO PUMP THE GAS TO GET THE CAR TO START. THE PUMP WORKS BUT IT DOESNT SEEM TO KEEP FUEL PRESSURE. IF YOU DRIVE THE CAR AND TURN IT OFF AND START IT BACK UP WITHIN A COUPLE OF HOURS THE CAR FIRES RIGHT UP. HOWEVER IF IT SITS OVER NIGHT, IT TAKES SEVERAL ATTEMPTS TO START THE CAR. IT APPEARS THE FUEL PUMP DON'T KICK ON UNTIL THE CAR IS RUNNING. IS THERE A RELAY OR SOMETHING THAT SHOULD KICK ON WHEN THE KEY IS TURNED? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Sjdincovky

According to my Haynes manual, which covers your model and year, the diagram shows that there is a Fuel Pump Relay.

It appears that one of these wires (my book says it's pink and black) is HOT IN RUN, meaning it kicks in the relay when the key is turned.

Find a wiring diagram, and check the wires to the relay, or replace the relay.

Deerayrose