COOLING SYSTEM PROBLEM

GMC Other

I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4 V6 with 120,000 miles. I had overheating problems about 500 miles ago so I took the car to our local mechanic. He diagnosed the problem as a bad water pump, so I had him replace it with a rebuilt water pump from an auto parts store. After driving the car recently I stopped at a fast food restaurant, smelled coolant and noticed coolant leaking from somewhere underneath the passenger side of the car. I checked the water pump hose at both ends but it was dry. Also, the passenger side of the radiator appeared wet on the bottom edge, while the driver side of the radiator was dry. After driving for approx 3 miles tonight the temperature gauge rose to about 220 degrees, the heater stopped working, and then the temperature gauge dropped down below 200 and the heater began working again. About 10 miles down the road the temperature gauge rose to over 220 degrees and the heater went out again. I pulled over and noticed that the overflow tank was bubbling, and the cap was loose. I put water and coolant in, waited about 1/2 hour and drove the car home without a problem. There was also a trail of coolant on the road's shoulder and coolant leaking when I pulled over
Matt Reilly

Loos e cap might have been the problem. Wait and see. Let us know. : )

Peppermrj