MODELS G20 VAN: COOLANT(?) SMELL COMING FROM

1992 GMC Other

Air Conditioning problem
1992 Other GMC Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

I have a G20 conversion van that has recently begun blowing a coolant like smell through the air conditioning vents. The system is still blowing cold, but a " sweet" odor that I think is coolant smell comes along with the cold air.

A couple of months ago I did some work on the cooling system (replaced the water pump, fan clutch, thermostat, replaced some hoses and flushed the radiator) but did not touch the a/c system. After making those repairs I have made several long drives using the a/c and no smell was evident. Also, the car is running cool with the temp gauge holding steady regardless of speed or drive distance. I don't think that coolant runs through the a/c system, so I'm a bit baffled as to why this would happen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike Sprecher