1987 GMC Other

1987 Other GMC Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

1987 GMC Vandura 2500

I bought it from a dealership and on the way home the transmission began to slip at a stop sign and sounded kind of rough when it would shift. Then the next day it just wouldn't move. Except if I turned it off then back on but I could only get a few feet. Now I can't get it to move period! I checked the fluids and they were over full so I decided to remove some of the fluid. Which in the process I found there was some dirt in the fluid. I have purchased a bunch of transmission fluid and filter and all that. I was wondering if I had to take the cross member off the back of the transmission to get the pan off? ---- If you have any more information you could give me on this subject would be very helpful too---- Thank you very much for your time and consideration, Randy