BURNING ODOR COMING FROM VENT

2001 GMC Jimmy

Smells problem
2001 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 72000 miles

I have a 2001 gmc jimmy and a few days ago I noticed a burning odor inside the truck when I'm driving. I also noticed that a small amt of smoke seeping from vent located under the windshield. I was told it could be the heater core going out. If this is the problem how much does the part cost and could I get someone to put it on for me and would it be difficult for them to do so. Also, I'm still driving in short distances but will this make the situation worse?
Sunshine75fl

Hi: It's safe to drive. However, if the core starts to leak bad, it could dump hot coolant (200 degree) in the passanger compartment.

As far as the problem, it does sound like the heater core. Is there a slimy film developing on the windshield? If so, that is from the coolant.

Finally, the heater core is going to cost around $150.00. The labor which is allowed for the job is 8.5 hours. Most of the dash needs to be removed and it's an involved job.

I hope that helps.